Sunday, April 3, 2011

02/10/06 Amazing sights

I love my walks to the post office from work. I get to walk down First Avenue, and may I just say, everyone should do that! If you like watching people, Pike Place Market and Pioneer Square are two wonderful places. Granted, there are always the scary elements, the meth addicts who are mumbling to themselves and yelling at...well, I'm not sure what or who, but it's kind of disconcerting. And of course the panhandlers are everywhere. If you look, you will see Aqualung.

But oh, some of the wonders, especially in clothing! Grunge and punk and the 60's, 70's, 80's, goth, yuppie, all are wandering around downtown.

For example, last St. Patrick's Day - a day known for excess in dress - I saw a lovely Muslim lady in traditional garb, muted colors, only hands and face showing, but over it all she was wearing a green denim jacket. Gotta love it!

And today, oh my today I saw a sweet young thing, metallic red hair shining in the sun, faux leopard fur short jacket, very VERY short ruffled denim skirt, black high heels, and pink and black horizontally striped stockings. Her skirt was so short that you could see the garters holding up the stockings. She had her goth buddy with her, a chubby girl in all black with the requisite black make-up, and they both were alternating between being proud of their look and hoping no one was looking. Of course we did. And most of us smiled.

And today was a wonderfully sunny day, so I saw lots of sandals and flip-flops under brand-new black jean shorts with zippers, hacked off khakis, broomstick skirts (which are going to be popular this summer, I can see that already), and topped with down jackets and windbreakers. Hey, it's warm and it's nice, but we're not completely stupid here! The wind off Elliot Bay can get pretty darned nippy!

I can't think of any color I haven't seen on hair, generally on the younger crowd but not always. Some people are quite adventurous, and I do so admire that! Not me, you understand! But when I wear my Dr. Seuss shirt, I certainly fit right in!

No comments:

Post a Comment