Sunday, April 3, 2011

02,/12/06 Night Owl

I know I'm not the only one who's a night owl. Given the opportunity, I'd keep a vampire's schedule. Well, okay, not entirely. I like the sun sometimes, and besides summer nights up here are really short. But I'm happier sleeping until noon, maybe one, and getting stuff done in the late afternoon or evening, then staying up until 2 or 3 in the morning.

I'm not sure why that is, either. And it's not convenient, necessarily, since my night vision is going. But it's quieter, more private and yet more open somehow. Less stressful. Of course in New Mexico, a lot of my love of the night was hiding from the sun, but that's not such an issue up here in the grey and mist and clouds.

I am an old friend of insomnia, and the Billy Pilgrim song was my theme for quite a while. Early morning air slipping over my face while I'm tucked into a warm bed is one way to help me sleep, and even in Minnesota in winter there were times when I had to have the window cracked to be able to sleep. But when the sun comes up I can generally fall asleep. Strange.

Given the opportunity, Lillian would be right here with me, but manys the night when I'm just falling asleep and she's waking up. Her hours are insane.

So, here I am, loving the night, the quiet, the rhthyms. Maybe that's one of the things I liked best about teaching - at least during the summer I could keep the hours that pleased me best. Someday, oh yes, someday I'll be able to sleep when I like, be awake when it suits me. It may not be until I'm in the nursing home (Ty, pick a good one!), but some day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment