Sunday, April 3, 2011

02/13/06 Snow Days

It's supposed to lightly snow here tonight, and the East coast is digging out from a blizzard. They have my sympathy, and if we could, we'd take some of the snow that pounded them. We'd love one day of good snow, simply because Seattle can't handle it and we'd get...a snow day!

As an adult, especially one who has lived in Minnesota, I know how destructive and truly ugly lots of snow can get, but isn't there still just a little moment of magic when you hear the words "Snow Day"?

Think about it! Doesn't it just evoke all kinds of great things - not the least of which is we don't have to be completely responsible adults any more. Of course we have to be sure we have heat and water and warm clothes and food, but after we're sure everything's gonna be okay, isn't it kind of magic? I think of snow angels and snowmen and snowball fights and snow forts. Stand still for a moment and listen to the silence, the stillness. Look at the glisten if there's sun, breathe in that amazing smell that's just new snow.

When I was a kid, I dug a hollow in a snow bank and climbed in. I made it big enough to lay down in, and I did, watching the snow fall outside my little private space. Unfortunately I got kinda warm and sleepy, so I understand how easy it would be to die like that, but my dog was very protective of me and he jumped in and woke me up. Snow down my neck, in my pants and between my fingers. Boy I was cold suddenly!

And that takes me to the other good part of snow days: hot chocolate or cocoa (or buttered rum), cuddled up in blankets while the cold, wet clothes steam someplace else, watching a fire burn, or reading a good book, watching a fun movie, or just dozing. And the cool part is, you're not being a slacker - it's a Snow Day!

We'll get back to the business of being adults and coping with all the things that happen, but for a brief moment, enjoy the magic idea of a Snow Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment