Wednesday, April 27, 2011

02/28/06 Time

Can you believe March is here already?

And as it rushes past me, all I can think is what I have coming up - back-up mammogram, more lively dental work with a possible 'nother root canal, and COLONOSCOPY! Yes, fifty is here and we have such grand things planned!

At least Lillian got my taxes done for me. I don't make much money and my name isn't on the mortgage, so mine are the easy ones to face. Now ever they let us actually get hitched, the easy taxes will go down the drain, but I'll be past that first colonoscopy, so taxes may very well look like a piece of cake.

No, I'm not really obsessing about it. It was just one of those things my doc and I talked about yesterday when we were looking at my hand. No word on whether or not it's really broken, so I guess it isn't, which in a way is a nuisance, since it takes much longer for sprains to heal, but there you go, why would I do the easy thing?

Is it just me, or as we get older does time seem to just fly by? Okay, so it always flew past when something awful was coming up, say, a speech you had to give, or waiting outside the principal's office, or well, dental work. But it seems to me that, while some days still drag....on....forever....the weeks and years seem to be zipping past. You know, I was always amazed at people who could focus on Christmas presents at Easter, but now I understand: Christmas really is just around the corner! And when I was teaching, the breaks always seemed shorter than the ones the year before. Now of course I don't get breaks, so it's a moot concept, but the idea's the same. Ever I get vacation time, I'm going to go to sleep Saturday night when it starts and all of a sudden it'll be Monday night the next week, and I'll end up wondering where the hell the week went!

Which really isn't all that different from wondering where the hell my socks went, I guess.

And time slips away faster now. I was reading something online this morning, and the next thing I knew I was cursing traffic because I was gonna miss the bus, and wouldn't that just be a pain in the patootie, since I overslept on Friday and was late to work (although that's not entirely my fault, since JB said I could come in a little later, and he really didn't give me a timeline, and the bed was so snuggly warm and it was icy outside, and...well, there you go, I was really late).

I always taught my students that time isn't really a fixed thing, it's elastic, and sometimes it stretches out forever - like when you've just said something out loud you really only intended to think - and sometimes it's on speed. I wish I could get a handle on it, but there's so much else I have to do.

And not nearly enough time.

No comments:

Post a Comment