Thursday, March 24, 2011

01/30/06 Touching things

At work the other day, we were talking about the sheer pleasure of handling books. It's okay to read things online, but a true reader has to hold the book, smell the ink and the paper dust, stroke the pages and the binding. There are some things that just have to be held. I can't imagine buying fabric on a website, although Lillian did. I have to touch it, see how it drapes, catches the light, feel it against my skin.

Now understand that I'm a freak and I know it. Lillian calls me a princess because if the sheets aren't soft enough, if there are any crumbs or dust or any sort of lumpy thing, I can't sleep. I have to have soft sheets, soft clothes, soft skin. So when people talk about ordering clothing online, I'm puzzled because I can't do it. It's almost a phobia, I guess. But I love to touch things so clothing must be soft and I have to have real books, not e-books.

Geordie is incredibly soft and wonderful to snuggle. Unfortunately he's bizarre, and he sometimes likes to cuddle and sometimes is terrified by the simplest, smallest movement. But this morning he wanted to be cuddled and he let me hold him and breathe in his fur and pet him. It was nice. Now, tonight Lillian wants a cuddle-kitty and he's acting like he's never seen her before. She talked him into it, but it was a serious courtship on her part. She likes cuddling, and so do I.

That's another reason that I love hugs. Hugs are healthy, I really think they are. And I may be biased but I think Lillian gives the best hugs. She knows just how to hold me, and they're a big part of our daily life. I think they're a big part of any healthy couple's daily life, come to think of it. I'm always sorry for people who don't get daily hugs.

((((hugs))))

No comments:

Post a Comment